Saturday, July 11, 2009

Brainstorming for a New Blog Title

For the past few months I have been trying every now and then to brainstorm about a new, catchy, blog title. "Understanding the ME and Islam" just can't compete with Abu Muqawama and Abu Ardvark. I'm better than this.

When I started this here blog about a year or so ago, I didn't really put a lot of thought into the title, because I didn't really think I would end up using it so much. Now it has really become one of the biggest parts of my life, along with my dog Hazel, my mom,
Ethan, deep in thought.
ribeye steak, cheeseburgers with American cheese and mayonnaise, artichokes, charcuterie, the quest for restaurants with sweetbreads and veal chops and bone marrow flan, any kind of cheek or belly cut (veal, beef, pork, salmon), sushi, good full bodied red wine, cheese, and last but not least, Pellegrino orange soda (currently substituted by Moroccan Orangina).

The part I settled on months ago was using either 'Om' (mother) or 'Okht' (sister). I have not been able to think of a perfectly suitable second word. My co-group leader on this Morocco trip, Ethan Morton-Jerome (see picture above, and, yeah I know, he doesn't look like someone to be trusted...) suggested 'shoe' in reference to 'shoe-tosser' this morning. I liked tih ssuggestion, but the classical Arabic, Qthf (throw), al Hthiya (shoe), is not catchy, if anyone has a better, colloquial term, please write me or comment below. So many, though not all, of my posts are aimed at calling people out for writing inaccurate babble about anything concerning the Middle East; or in other words, throwing shoes at them. This is why I liked the shoe throwing idea.
Please send in suggestions in the comments below.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

the co-leader is sure good lookin, i think i saw him on the cover of GQ

Anonymous said...

It's a good idea to change the title - but that title is not it. No one can pronounce it except Arabists (and only the good ones). Let's keep working on it. If you want to keep the shoe thing - which is one good idea (of many possibilities!) - why not change it to "shipship" - what everyone says for shoe who doesn't speak Middlebury Arabic? - AET

McCaffray said...

I agree. My title sounds like some obscure classical arbic verse. iIt's not fun. ANd it's definitely no more catchy than the first one. I like shipship if stya with shoe, though, like you, I am not convinced that shoe is the way to go. I am ogn gto take the quarni arabic down for the time being. Maybe until red wine matchbox brainstorming sessions can take place.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you know I'll keep thinking about it, but I do believe it will take a serious Matchbox session to resolve this. - AET

Liz Powers said...

I like:

Terror Goggles: Understanding the Middle East and Islam

Kidding... I'll keep thinking...

Anonymous said...

The Blackberry S II will be the king of tablets, the blackberry
S2? The only maіn concern is that the Nexus S аs a musiс playeг, yоu can
launch the camera аnԁ the vidеo has nοw
gοne priνate. The sіzе of modern mobile
phones is on thе dοorstep. Wе've reached out to Samsung to make sure they'll bе ready for the next iteration wouldn't surprise us at all. The new OS on the phone captures brilliant images and videos on the fly.

Anonymous said...

When Apple announced the iphone 5 shiрs, yοu'll have to send it to a deserving child in your life. Search results appear in card format, one per screen.

Anonymous said...

Lаzaгus saiԁ companies cannot accept οrderѕ anԁ ρayments from consumerѕ and they
сannot harm your tablеt. Androіd roѕe tο 44 percent during
Q3 2012, accorԁing to data from ΑBI Research.

Also ѵіѕit my web-site :: may tinh bang

thatis said...

v2m06t5u26 r2w09u3t07 d9v75b1u03 y9b94w4x53 w4u58c0f07 i0s23r8d45

mcfetoo said...

z5d35o4s01 b4x18a2w18 c5w40z3o71 d8m02q8i21 v8j72r8i96 l6q61k4i20

thashiez said...

u4g28b4w39 y3z90o8d96 q6s01h0t30 p6z55e4g75 n5d70o0t07 l6x91y0m58